Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Day 73: Papeete

I slept poorly last night, due mostly to worry.  Mom has not been feeling well since I had phone service on Sunday (my first words to her: "You sound so weak!"). Thankfully, she is now in the hospital, which is the very best place for her. Of course, going to Ohio is not even a remote possibility. We had discussed this before G and I left the US...French Polynesia is simply too far to rush back to the US. I would not even be able to get a flight this week anyway, due to the holidays, so it's a mute point.  And now that she is getting the best care anywhere, I can (hopefully) relax.

Even once my mind was at rest knowing she is being well looked after, I didn't feel like I wanted to be out walking this morning. When I checked Accuweather online, I discovered one possible reason:  the air temp was 86F at 10am, but the Real Feel was 98F. I thought it had been beastly hot when we returned from our walk yesterday afternoon, but perhaps it's good I didn't know just how much hotter it was with the humidity. We returned to our room after breakfast, I lay down and G said I was asleep in two minutes. 

I was awakened much later by a tap-tapping at the door. It was G, returning from a walk.  It was also nearly 3pm. I had slept the day away!  Feeling guilty, once G was cooled down a little, we left together, and had a late lunch/early dinner at a sidewalk cafe that we had discovered yesterday on one of the side streets. The food was great (G had a quiche and I had a big salad) but, OMG, it is hot!!  Air conditioning is virtually non-existent, and even when a building  has AC, it only feels good for a few minutes, and then only because it's relatively cooler than outside. But still not cool. The only truly comfortable place we've been is our hotel room. The forecast tomorrow is for rain, and I'm almost relieved. At least we won't have the sun heating things up. 

We followed our meal with a walk around the area around Notre Dame Cathedral, a frozen yogurt and then a walk down to Chaplins for Internet. We were back by sunset tonight, and viewed it from our balcony. Our big plan for tomorrow is to stock up with enough food to see us through New Years Day. If Sunday was any indication, many of the cafes will be closed for the holiday. 



Despite the sidewalk construction directly in front of the Hotel Tiare Tahiti, there are many walkers and joggers passing through that area to get to the waterfront park just to the left of this photo. By next year, the construction should be done and there will be a beautiful walkway from the cruise ship pier to the park. 

Things I learned today:

TNTV is not a typo: it is not TNT, as we once thought. G was picturing lazy hours filled with Law and Order reruns and old westerns. Instead we have Tahiti Nui TV; lots of French melodramas and no Lenny Briscoe. 

With nearly 100 degree difference between the real feel here and at home, I'm appreciating the fact that, no matter how warm it gets, we don't have to shovel "hot".