Sunday, March 30, 2014

Day 150: Welcome Back to the Real World

After five months and one day, we're HOME!

We walked in our front door at 3am EST, after several flight delays due first to air traffic control and then to sitting on the runway in a severe lightning storm that halted landings and takeoffs for nearly two hours.

It is 4:09am EST as I type this, so I'll be brief tonight (really!) and finish my thoughts in a final post in the next couple of days. 

I am thankful for so many things tonight:

- The opportunity to travel as we do, and my best friend to travel with, and the good fortune to do it safely and without incident. 

- A house and friends I love to come home to.

- Friends who kept daily watch on our house, handled our mail and waited at the airport for three hours tonight to pick us up (that's YOU, Martha!)

- A husband who is smart enough to know how to install a Nest thermostat so we can use our iPhones to turn up the heat on the way home from the airport, so we walked into a warm house. Wise enough to install security webcams all around the house to bring us peace of mind while we're away. Organized enough to have lists of hundreds of things to do to prepare for each winter away. And driven enough to do them all, so we come home to not even one surprise or issue. 

- And, finally, the foresight to leave myself a new toothbrush and a new jar of night cream on the bathroom counter. Aside from wiggling my toes in the sand of Fort Lauderdale Beach this afternoon, these have been the highlights of a very long and very tiring day. 

Life is good, and it will be even better tomorrow. I mean today. Later today. After 8 hours of sleep. 


My last view of the Emerald Princess as we whizzed past in a taxi on our way to the airport. Weep.