Friday, March 21, 2014

Day 142: At Sea

Well, so much for cruising with intensity. While we started the day strong, and G kept up the pace all day, I fizzled out before noon and had the downest down day of the winter. 

We had intended to go to Ye Olde Pub Night last evening, in the Explorers Lounge, but never made it. We were both asleep early, but awoke well before 7am today. We started the day with mimosas at breakfast in the DaVinci Dining Room, and that's quickly becoming a favorite way to start a sea day. I limited myself to a fruit plate, because I thought lunch would be a full one, but G went all out and had a double cheese omelet.

As of today, our clothes still fit just fine, but we're both being a bit carefree this last cruise! 

Keeping it healthy, my mid-morning blended latte was decaf (of course) and skinny. Still, sitting alone at a table in Vines, the wine bar on Deck 5 in the Piazza, reading a book about Lady Almina, the real-life countess of Highclere Castle, where Downton Abbey is set, felt decadent in a different way. I have a feeling that the plane ride home is the last time for quite a while (7 months?) that I'll have time to sit, guilt-free, and read. Going home for us is like starting a new contract for the crew:  several months of lots of work and long hours. Oh well...we've heard the song, and it will be time to pay the piper.

We both attended the 10am Backstage Tour in the Princess Theater. Sure, we've seen it a few times this winter, but never with the new cast, and Company Performance Manager Astrid has been replaced by Igor and Kyle by Stephen and...well, it's probably best that this is our last cruise. I'll never learn all these new names again. 

Interestingly, one of the six seamstresses from costume maker Sylvia's of Hollywood remains on board, fine tuning the costume fittings for the new cast. I can't imagine what it was like when there were six seamstresses and billows of costumes in that tiny dressing room, because with just one sewing machine in there it's still quite tight. 




One of the two staircases for tonight's production show What a Swell Party waiting in the wings:

After the Backstage Tour, I returned to the cabin just to "rest" for a few minutes...and woke up hungry five hours later at 4pm. I'm certain the stress and uncertainty of last cruise caught up with me, because, as you know, I am not a napper. But when it's a five hour long sleep, I'm not certain I can even call it a nap. G came and went, attending this cruise's Cruise Critic Meet and Greet and then going to Pub Lunch in the Wheelhouse Bar with a two Cruise Critic couples and then playing elevator roulette...while I slept on and on. 

About 4pm I awoke and was headed up to the buffet for a snack when I ran into G. He joined me, and, while we ate, I begged off formal night tonight. I am weary of dressing up, and so we plan to have a light dinner in the buffet and then watch the movie Last Vegas on the big screen (MUTS). It's sea day relaxation at its best. 

I keep forgetting to post this photo, taken from the Emerald Princess when we were in Fort Lauderdale two days ago. 


This little tugboat was pulling a small yacht, and I thought it was the cutest thing. When I told G I thought it belonged in a story book, he said that it looked like it should be able to talk. Exactly. :-)