Friday, March 14, 2014

Day 135: Barbados

Yesterday had been a blur of on the ship and off the ship phone and Internet usage, back and forth, back and forth. While I was pricing flights and checking weather, G was meeting with the administration manager on board to see what was involved for me to leave the ship mid-cruise, and talking to the port agent about taxi cost to Vieux Fort, where the international airport is located, on the southern end of St. Lucia ($90 plus tip, roughly 60-90 minutes away). 

Of all the islands we visit on this Eastern Caribbean itinerary, the airport is furthest from the cruise port on St. Lucia. I knew on St. Kitts and St. Thomas the airport is very close, and on Barbados it's not too far. However, the flight prices were steepest on Barbados and St.Thomas. So, given what was happening with Mom, and the logistics we were facing, we decided to postpone a decision until St. Kitts, if possible. And I booked a flight from Fort Lauderdale to Detroit for next turnaround day as a fall back. Meanwhile, I am placing a call each morning to re-assess. 

I am reporting all this in an effort to "keep it real". This is as much a part of living at sea as anything else we do. And I can't tell you how much all your wonderful emails have meant to me. I've read every one, and have tried to respond to many. Thank you!

I hadn't had breakfast or lunch yesterday, and so by last night's Dinner with Darko I was starving. We ordered a bottle of Reisling, and went a long way in emptying it. In the past, when I've ordered a cheese plate for dessert, Darko noticed that I only eat the Brie and leave the other cheese (Gouda?). Last night he made certain there was blue cheese as well. Blue cheese and Brie...day savers if ever there were any!

Vocalist Mark Preston was doing three shows in the Princess Theater last night; there were no other featured performers. There's a backstory to this:  I had emailed Mark Preston a couple of weeks ago, asking if he'd sing Lady, which I've seen him do on YouTube. To my surprise, he emailed back immediately and said he'd add it to his show. Lady was "our" song, and our first dance at our wedding. Well, last night Mark introduced the song as an email request, and said it was one of his favorite love songs. The Emerald Princess orchestra no sooner started playing those first heartwrenching notes, and I was frying. G hugged me close and, at least momentarily, all was right in my world. 

We followed up with band Accent in Club Fusion before bedtime. Their female singer has gone home to be a mom, the band remains good despite her absence.  

Captain Stenzel had warned of mostly cloudy skies and occasional rainshowers in Barbados, and he was absolutely correct. After assuring ourselves I wasn't going to be flying to Detroit today, we packed for a day on Carlisle Bay Beach at Lobster Alive. G talked a taxi driver into an $8 fare (total) once we had walked outside the secured port area (don't get railroaded into going to the right; go to the left instead), so we got a front row umbrella and loungers and settled in for the day. The occasional light rainshowers only made us appreciate those big, green Lobster Alive umbrellas even more. It was only periodically sunny, but, in the end was a perfect beach day for two people who had just spent all day on Antigua in the sun, especially the one of them (not me) who is a bit pinkish red. More red than pink. (But I'll deny saying that!).  





As to the best part of my day, it's hard to choose. Was it talking with Mom from the ship, or talking with her later using Lobster Alive's free wifi (free with Vonage; get the app!) when she sounded better, or drinking not one, not two, but THREE rum punches, or riding back to the ship in a taxi (a luxury of unimaginable proportion)?  All in all, and despite the light rainshowers, we had another wonderful day at Lobster Alive on Carlisle Bay Beach. 

Once back on the ship, at nearly 3:30pm, G showered and headed out to watch the Emerald Princess's 4pm sailaway. I needed a lie down and an Ibuprofen to be up to the evening. Tonight were the three Platinum and Elite Captains Circle parties in Club Fusion, so there was no Elite Lounge in Skywalkers. We went to Dinner with Darko; once again, we were starving, which skipping lunch and spending all day on a beach does to us. I had the vegetarian Pad Thai for the first time, with shrimp added for good measure. It was delicious! And we were lucky enough to see a gorgeous sunset from our table...albeit through the salt-streaked glass. 



Afterwards we sat on the Promenade Deck watching the last of the day's light fade from the sky. 

We went to the 7:30pm Captains Circle party...and that was it for the evening.  We were tucked in bed with fuzzy water and popcorn soon after it ended.  Tonight's entertainment choice (singular) was impressionist Michael Wilson, whom we've seen several times before, and the Ultimate Deck Party was to be held on the open deck (but I'm not certain the weather was going to cooperate).

I will sleep well tonight!