Sunday, March 3, 2013

Day 117: St. Kitts

Oh, I was moving slowly this morning after too many rum punches yesterday on Barbados! Still, we made it to breakfast before the dining room closed at 9:00am. (Special treat: mixed berries pancakes). Our scheduled arrival in St. Kitts wasn't until 10:00am, and it was nice to have a later morning.

We walked off the ship with no firm plans for the day. G wanted to use wifi on shore to check out the webcams back home, and I had to pick up a couple more presents. St. Kitts is always a great place to do that, with an abundance of shops right near the cruise ship terminal of Port Zante. I had mentioned last fall that all the previously unlocked wifi was gone now at Port Zante, or locked, but we've found that if we ask, the merchants won't give us their password, but they will enter it themselves on our iPhones, allowing us to access their wifi. This is especially true after making a purchase, so I took advantage of that today and not only updated all my apps, but updated my operating system on my phone too.

Not too much longer, and doing all that will be nearly automatic and very simple. Honestly, I can't wait for that part of being home.

While I was interneting away, two guys on Segways rolled past, and I used my 2-way radio to contact G and tell him about it (he was in another part of the shopping area). The next thing I knew, G rolled up to me on a Segway...he was taking a quick 30-minute tour on one. I preferred to stay there using the Internet, so he went alone with two guides, Segway-ing north along the coastline of St. Kitts.

I eventually returned to the ship, but G wasn't long behind me. We went to the buffet for a late lunch (lunch for me on port days is either salad bar or pizza...I'm still not that impressed with the buffet) and then G used a hot tub and I used the Terrace Pool until it was time to get cleaned up for dinner. We joined Jenny and Bill in Skywalkers for pre-dinner drinks and hors doerves and finalized plans for tomorrow on St Thomas.

After a pretty basic dinner (salad, broccoli and salmon for me), we went to the 8:00pm Team Rootberry show in the Explorers Lounge where Jonathon and Bill did some wild and crazy stuff...and some juggling too.

I forgot to mention that, yesterday on the beach on Barbados, G was trying to juggle three oranges...until a local guy came by and hinted strongly that he'd like one. Then G was juggling two oranges...until a local kid came by and hinted he'd like one. And when he was down to just one orange. G offered it to the guy renting chairs at Lobster Alive. I guess that the concept of food for anything other than eating is foreign on Barbados!

Photo 1: G ready to Segway on St. Kitts

Photo 2: the eastern sky at sunset

Photo 3: St. Kitts at sailaway

Photos 4 and 5: those wild and crazy guys of Team Rootberry performing in the Explorers Lounge