Sunday, October 6, 2024

Cruise #1: 21-night Transatlantic on the Regal Princess

Hi there!  

Guess where I’m sitting!  Yes, it’s obvious I’m on the Regal, but where on the Regal?  Our muster check in was in Crooners, so that should give you a big hint. 


My first Baccarat
It won’t be my last!

I have a lot to fill you in on, but it wasn’t until right this minute that I convinced myself to blog about our trip. This had been an astoundingly emotional journey, which caught me quite unawares, but some of y’all are very persuasive.  We’ve been in London for three days and took the Princess transfer to Southampton, arriving on the ship at 1:30pm. 

The suitcases remain unpacked, I’m wearing the same clothes I flew in on Wednesday, but I’ve watched listened to the safety video and so I’m legal and the piano music and alcohol here in Crooners drew me in. I may camp here until dinner.

I do hope you’ll follow along on my return to cruising.  So many unknowns, even to me:
  1. Will I find this cruise too people-y?
  2. Will my social battery completely burn out (my capacity is about 33% of what it was pre-COVID, and I’m not mad about that)?
  3. Will I stay well?
  4. Will my knee /back/foot that I broke six weeks ago hold up?
  5. And, most importantly, how long will I stay on the ship?
I will go back and fill you in on life recently, relate our London fun, and then let you know how tomorrow’s excursion (to the D-Day beaches, our primary reason for booking this cruise) goes. I’m starting out woefully behind, but will do my best to catch up. While these first few days (flying to London, sightseeing, getting to Southampton, boarding the ship and then porting in Le Havre the next day) are fairly brutal, things should slow down a little after that.

Thanks for being here!