Thursday, December 1, 2011

Sand city





After a few hours in the sun, we gathered up our things and walked for about 45 minutes down the beach, first to get some exercise but also to check out the resorts along the way. I was quite impressed by this sand city, and have no idea who made it, but it took them some time!

We ended up catching a minivan bus back to Oranjestaad, where the ship is docked. Aruba's bus system is another one of those mysteries we can't claim to understand. There's an official bus system, but private buses also run, usually just ahead of the official bus, for a nickel cheaper. We don't understand it, but since it reduces our wait for a bus, we like it.

G returned to the ship but I took a little time to do some Christmas shopping. When I finally spent the $16 I had (big spenders, us!), I returned to the ship, hot, sweaty, salty and- horrors!- sunburned. I guess that palapa didn't provide the shade it appeared to. Or else the sun reflected off the sand. Mostly on my right arm and shoulder and upper back. I hydrocortisoned-up, and will wear sunscreen with TWO rash guards tomorrow while snorkeling in Bonaire. And this, too, shall pass.