Thursday, February 13, 2020

Day 139: Hobart, Tasmania

I was up and off the ship early this morning. We didn’t sleep long, but sleep, when the ship is at a berth, is the best ship sleep there is. My objective in getting off early was not to start sightseeing, but to use the high speed WiFi in the Hobart Cruise Terminal. It’s extremely fast, especially so if few others are on it, but is limited to only 30 minutes per device per day. Still, 30 minutes is enough time if the speed is good. 

G stayed on the ship and just used cellular data, which must have been beefed up for the Royal Hobart Regatta, as it was pretty good today, too. But for downloading videos to watch on the flight home, I needed WiFi. I downloaded the maximum number of Netflix videos I could, spread between two iPads, and updated apps while I was doing that. We’re have plenty of entertainment on hand for the hours of travel home, and 40 minutes later I joined G in the World Fresh Marketplace. 

Despite our good sleep, neither one of us was a ball of energy today. After all, we’ve been in Hobart several times this season, and the only thing that really appealed to us today was a historical display on the Regatta grounds, but apparently it wasn’t appealing enough. Furthermore, Captain Tony Draper had made an unwelcome announcement yesterday evening as we were leaving Port Arthur. Due to a significant storm and the resulting rough seas that we are going to encounter en route to Sydney, and in order to arrive on time in Sydney (rather important to us with an 11:15am flight), he was moving our departure from Hobart up by three hours. Instead of leaving at 6pm, we would be leaving at 3pm, with a 2:30pm on board time. Several shore excursions were cancelled as a result. 

Instead of leaving the ship, we lingered over breakfast and then returned to the cabin where we began the task of sorting through paperwork, photos, menus, maps...all the flotsam and jetsam of nearly five months at sea. We hate dumping all that trash on our cabin steward on the last day. While we were at it, I packed away a few things I knew were no longer needed. 

By 2pm we were getting hungry, and, wanting to avoid what we knew would be a crush in the World Fresh Marketplace as everyone came back on board, we once again split a pizza at Alfredo’s. This left us not very hungry for dinner, and it was the 999th formal night of our season, too, but we dressed not too formally and went to dinner anyway.

We really don’t need to eat for at least a week after we get home, which is a good thing, because there is no food in the house anyway. 


Day 7 dinner menu, page 1


Day 7 dinner menu, page 2


Day 7 dessert menu

We sat in front row seats for tonight’s performance of Fantastic Journey, knowing this was not the show to view from there, but wanting to try it anyway. Fantastic Journey kind of wraps around the front of the Princess Theater, and utilizes the two side stages, and one misses all that extra activity if sitting too close. Still... we did it. We do enjoy seeing the singers and dancers up close (and hearing their voices without a mic, too). 

I know I’ve said it before, but we have really enjoyed the production shows and musical entertainment on the Majestic Princess. 




Those drones...I’m still impressed by the technology in this show. 


These costumes. Amazing!




We had some energy tonight (doing nothing all day has its benefits), and listened to some of the live music around the ship, finishing the evening with Acoustic Rush in the Crown Grill. They (and the Majestic Princess Orchestra) have been our favorite of all the fantastic musicians on the ship. 

And then it was bedtime, our second last on the ship. I really lucked out, and had great mattresses on both the Ruby Princess and the Majestic Princess this season. And my silk sleep sack has worked out perfectly. But these pillows...they were too puffy when they were first delivered on the Emerald Princess several years ago and haven’t calmed down over time. But I’m already bringing my own sheet...liquid soap, bar soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, Q-tips, etc, because what is offered on Princess doesn’t appeal. Do I really need to add pillows to that list?

Nah. I’ll just get into my chiropractor as soon as I get home. I’ve gotten by without being able to turn my head to the left for weeks now, but it might come in handy when I start to drive. 


Day 7 Princess Patter, page 1


Day 7 Princess Patter, page 2


Day 7 Princess Patter, page 3


Day 7 Princess Patter, page 4