Saturday, December 28, 2019

Day 95: Tauranga (but really more of a sea day)

You know, we’ve had a slightly unsettled start to our stay on the Majestic Princess.  After being cocooned in the friendly and familiar world that is the Ruby Princess for more than three months, we are in foreign territory now. More accurately, it’s foreign territory with occasional glimpses of something that feels a bit closer to home. Welcome to Royal Class cruising on the Majestic Princess. 

I could point out the  areas that we find problematic, but I’m willing to wait a few days to see how the ship feels after people settle down a little. But things that we love:  chairs...everywhere. I actually bought a specialty coffee package today because I was so excited to get a seat at the International Cafe to have a place to sit and drink a specialty coffee. There are little conversation seating areas everywhere around the ship. The Hollywood Conservatory, the covered pool area above our cabin, includes an expanded adults-only seating area at the very front of the ship that would be the extra cost Sanctuary on other ships. 

So far the food has disappointed a little (or maybe it’s just that the food on the Ruby Princess was so good). The menus on the Majestic Princess are very different than those in the Ruby, but we had heard that the Ruby menus were being trialed. I can tell you which my husband likes better so far (the Ruby had a nice beef option nearly every night). Our wait service in the Concerto Dining Room has been wonderful, and headwaiter Antonio from Portugal is taking good care of my special dietary needs. 

And the entertainment so far, especially tonight, has been spectacular. If we had higher expectations for anything on the Majestic Princess, it would be  for the entertainment and the buffet, called the World Fresh Marketplace (wait a minute...I need another shortcut).  As of right now, we have one hit and a miss. 

And then there’s the WiFi situation. It’s abysmal; it would have to improve to be just bad. G spoke with the internet manager today. He said that it’s been this bad since the Majestic Princess was in Hobart last cruise, and there’s nothing he can do about it. OK, If I had purchased these 250 Internet minutes instead of getting them for free as a loyalty park, I’d be seriously irritated. Download speed has yet to hit 2 Mbps (and was around 500 Kbps this morning). Upload speed won’t even register. The photos I added to this post were done using cellular data in port today. Mom texted me yesterday that she needed a pair of shoes ordered from Zappos. I couldn’t even get logged in to my  Zappos account using the ship’s WiFi. Luckily, I was able to place the order using cellular data today. We’ve heard the ship is going into drydock next year in Singapore. I hope MedallionNet is on the list of upgrades to be completed. 

I know I’ve been rambling here, but there is much to say about the Majestic Princess, and nothing to say about our day today. We never even got off the ship, despite the fact that it was a spectacularly beautiful day today. We had decided long ago that these cruises were going to be more about the ship than the ports, and we had a lot of exploring to do while most people were off the ship in Tauranga. 



Mount Maunganui and Pilot Bay Beach from the ship’s webcam

Have I mentioned that this ship big?  I know I have, but have I mentioned it lately?  And I don’t mean that it’s “empty gymnasium” big, but more like “McMansion having an overcrowded house party” big.  It’s gorgeous, every bit of it is just beautiful, but this ship is currently home to just over 4000 passengers, 500 more than its lower berths can hold. I bet nearly every upper berth is full. 

The Majestic Princess Piazza

The Majestic Princess Piazza Christmas tree with a Maori Matakari banner hanging behind it. 


Gingerbread village in the Piazza


Hanukkah display in the Piazza

G had breakfast in the Concerto Dining Room, but I didn’t make it up in time. Instead, he joined me for coffee in the International Cafe. We explored the entire ship,  bow to stern, top to bottom, and that took until early afternoon. We had a light lunch in the World Fresh Marketplace and then used a hot tub with a view on Deck 17 midship until it was time to get ready for the Elite Lounge, held in the ironically named Vista Gaming Lounge that has absolutely no view. 

Our table in the Concerto Dining Room is not next to a window (G would consider this fact and the internet to be the only two issues we’re having), but it is a large table for two with no other tables within earshot and that’s not a bad thing in our fourth straight month of cruising. 

But, without a doubt, the highlight of the day (maybe the cruise) was tonight’s Princess Theater entertainment, an Elton John tribute act by guest entertainer Greg Andrew. Have I mentioned I love Elton John’s music?  I know I have, but have I mentioned it lately?  It’s a bit of a mixed blessing to finally be getting old enough that the entertainment on Princess ships is geared toward my age group.  Queen tribute act Mercury Rising from two years ago on the Golden Princess), Elton John, Billy Joel...this is the music of my teenage years. I love it all. 

We went from the Princess Theater back to the Vista Gaming Lounge for a Maori folkloric show by local entertainers (the ship didn’t sail until nearly 10pm tonight), then up to Deck 16 for a fountain show at 9:15pm and then I returned to the Princess Theater for Greg Andrew’s late show at 9:45pm. He was just that good. G, who had been up since 5am, didn’t make it there with me but warned me to “be careful driving home and watch for black ice on the road “. Haha. It is so nice to not have to worry about those things when I choose to go solo after dark.

Tomorrow is the first sea day of the cruise. I think we’ll get a good idea how crowded this ship feels then.  Tomorrow’s Patter is full of activities to keep everyone occupied, and if the weather continues to be sunny, that should help spread the passengers out a bit around the outside decks.