Saturday, November 23, 2019

Day 61: At Sea

Our weather today was the complete opposite of what we experienced in this part of the Tasman Sea (“The Tassie”, in Australian-speak) on our transpacific cruise just over a month ago. We had beautiful sunshine and calm seas the entire day, and this certainly bodes well for our scenic cruising of Fiordland National Park tomorrow. Fingers crossed. 

My phone is on Do Not Disturb mode at night, something I’ve never previously had to even think about on a cruise, but when one is always connected to WiFi, and is also on the other side of the world, unless one wants to be receiving texts and calls all night, DND is mandatory. So I missed her call, but as soon as I picked up my phone this morning, I saw a message from Mom. After my slight panic attack (she never calls me on a cruise), I listened to her message: she needed technical support for her iPad. Her keyboard keeps disappearing.  I sent her a couple of solutions and don’t know if one of them worked or a miracle happened, but she soon was able to text me again. Crisis averted. 

We had moved clocks ahead again last night, and doing that two times in two nights is not my idea of fun. Still, we set an alarm and made it to breakfast in the DaVinci Dining Room shortly after it opened at 7:30am. While we were at breakfast, McGee‘s race event was taking place. I had been heartsick about missing it, but I sure was kept in the loop. Start video, finish video, photos, stats, results...I was getting them all. I love this MedallionNet!!! How did he do, you ask?  A personal record, his team finished second and they’re heading to nationals in two weeks. Nationals as a sophomore! (Think G would notice if I flew to Portland for a couple of days?)

After that excitement, I returned to the cabin and went back to sleep. G spent the morning at the destination lectures for Tauranga and Auckland, but I’d rather watch them later when they are shown on TV. 

Today was the Most Traveled Guest luncheon for this cruise. This is Captain Lewis’ final cruise on the Ruby Princess. Commodore Pomata comes on board next Sydney turnaround, and, unless he’s changed his mind since we repeatedly sailed with him on the Emerald Princess years ago, he prefers the cocktail parties, so this might be the last lunch for awhile. It was an extra-enjoyable one. 








Roasted vegetables on tofu


Halibut filet with marinara sauce 



My dessert. This was dairy-free!
How do they do it?


The standard dessert

Captain Lewis is a most sociable captain, and kept us well entertained during lunch. I especially like that he excuses himself temporarily when he finishes eating and goes around the room to have a chat with all the other tables. We were seated with Michael and Leone and it was like being on the Golden Princess all over again. We first met them when we were seated at the same table at the Most Traveled Guest luncheon on that ship. 

We obviously didn’t have lunch in the dining room today, but this was the menu of the day:


Day 3 lunch menu, page 1


Day 3 lunch menu, page 2

We returned to the cabin after lunch, checked the Princess Patter for the hours, and were at the Medical Center when it opened at 3pm. Yep, this crud is not only lingering, it seems to be getting worse. I am really struggling here. Frankly, these respiratory illnesses that last for weeks seem to be my new MO on cruises, and it is not one I’m happy with. Dr. Celeste has put me on a new antibiotic and has extended my time taking prednisone.  It may not be clearing up my lungs, but my foot has never felt better. ;-)

We went up to the Elite Lounge, being held in Skywalkers again this cruise, more to chat with new friends and look at the sun sparkling on the water than to eat. Heck, we even went to dinner not one bit hungry. Most Traveled Guest luncheon days become one long slothful food fest. 


Day 3 dinner menu, page 1


Day 3 dinner menu, page 2


Beetroot and mushroom bourguignon
How did it taste? I have no idea. The senses of taste and smell are still MIA,

The Princess Theater performer tonight was vocalist Paul Costa. Like most of our entertainers on these cruises, he’s an Aussie, but here’s the thing...he sings with an American accent and talks with an Aussie accent. How does that work?  No matter, he was really fantastic, and sang a lot of early rock hits accompanied by the Ruby Princess orchestra. 

We left the Princess Theater at 8:30pm to see that it was still light outside (in fact, the ship’s webcam shows it’s still twilight-y out there at 10pm as I type this).  We really appreciate the long days in this part of the world, especially on the southern end of the South Island of New Zealand. It’s just another reason we enjoy being down here. 

The alarm is set for 6am tomorrow morning. Captain Lewis said we’d be entering Milford Sound at 7am. It’s so calm out there right now; I can’t imagine any reason we wouldn’t be able to cruise through all four fiords tomorrow. I love it when the scenery comes to us!

Life is good. :-)



Day 3 Princess Patter, page 1


Day 3 Princess Patter, page 2


Day 3 Princess Patter, page 3


Day 3 Princess Patter, page 4