Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Day 2: First of five days in a row at sea to Hawaii

Oh, I slept well.  Really well. Of course, the fact that I was asleep before I hit SEND on my iPad last night to publish my blog post may have had something to do with it. But often, the first night on a cruise ship, or anywhere not home, does not provide the best sleeping experience. It just goes to show that, on the Pacific Princess, we ARE home...just a different home. The only issue I had was with how dry the cabin seemed. We don't have AC at home and when we move into a totally air conditioned environment, even one surrounded by water, we can feel the difference in the air.

The first thing I did this morning was pick up my iPad and look at my post from last night, to count how many typos it had. I was not surprised that it had a lot. I usually take at least a minute to re-read a post before I publish it, in an attempt to catch the most glaring errors, but last night I could not do even that. So I fixed them and tried to get on WiFi to re-publish the corrected version and encountered my least favorite part of cruising:  no internet. This will be a common theme on our sea days en route not just to Hawaii but down to Papeete. I promise I will do my duty and blog daily; I cannot promise when I'll get my posts published. And when we do have WiFi, the signal at sea is fairly weak. I will not even attempt to upload many/any photos until we get to Hawaii, land of milk and honey and fast, free WiFi.

G was already out and about, though it was still before 7am. The man loves those earliest hours of the day on a cruise ship!  By the time he returned to the cabin. I had taken my first shower since yesterday morning (always more time consuming as I figure out just what things should be on shelves in the bathroom and which can stay in the over the door shoe rack hanging on the outside of the bathroom door. On the Emerald Princess we can unpack and settle in with our eyes shut; on the Pacific Princess it takes just a tiny bit longer). 

G said that he, too slept well. Our beds are a just bit cushy, but not too, and the pillows are the same. Our cabin is quiet and well located, almost exactly mid ship and close to the Passenger Services Desk and just one deck down from the Club Restaurant. We are very happy here indeed. 

G had already eaten a first breakfast in the Panorama Buffet with Douglas Pearson (remember him from last year?  The port lecturer who conveyed such enthusiasm about these South Pacific islands?).  We had known from Douglas' sister Margot with whom we've stayed in touch over the summer that he would be on board for these cruises (no small part of the reason we booked them again), and had already seen Douglas on Deck 10 for sailaway yesterday. So, anyway, G had already eaten one time but accompanied me to the Club Restaurant for his second breakfast of the day. I enjoyed fruit- mixed berries and orange slices- which we have been lacking at home lately and my usual scrambled egg beaters. I will refrain from eating pineapple until we get to those sweet, small ones in French Polynesia; nothing else compares. Our very visible and very friendly maitre de (whose name I could not recall last night), Giuseppe Castino, was there to greet passengers. We had never sailed with Giuseppe before but he is the consummate host in my mind. 

It's so nice to be home!

In fact, I should make a point of stressing that for our dear friends at home who know that, the closer we get to a big trip, regardless of how excited I am about going, the less I want to leave home. I hate leaving home!  I love it at home! In the pre-school where I work, we say that some children need support in transitioning from one activity to another. I am like those children. ;-) But once I make it past the goodbyes and the loading of Martha's car and get through security at the airport and am seated on the plane, I'm thrilled to be going. And I am more than thrilled to be on the Pacific Princess once again. 

We went from breakfast to Douglas Pearson's first port lecture, on Hilo and the Big Island of Hawaii. It makes no matter that we've heard it in the past...we simply enjoy Douglas' lectures!  I could not stay for the entire thing, however, as I had picked up a ticket for orchid lei making, which was held at 9:45am in the Steakhouse. It's funny...on some cruises I am very participative; on others I am not. And today I was definitely feeling the participative thing, because I found myself looking at the Patter several times to see what activity was up next. 

Lei making was a good time. We were seated at tables that already had the flowers and string and a large needle-type thing and straws and...well, it would be pretty difficult to mess this project up, despite the fact that I had never made a lei before.  And I was able to meet Ramon and Sian (also a dancer) of the cruise staff, and that's always fun as they are naturally very friendly people. I was returning to our cabin just off the atrium on Deck 4 when I saw that there was a travel journal project going on and they had exactly one kit left. That's how I found myself gluing and cutting and decorating this very nice notebook, making a travel journal which I'll likely never use to write in because I'm so electronic but which I may use to save some paper memorabilia. 


Cover of my travel journal

I then finally made it back to our cabin where I used the time and space (G was out and about) to really settle things in their best locations. Both of us, while unpacking, were certain that we had left this item or that item at home, but both of us eventually found the missing items somewhere. In G's case, his missing comb had been placed in the safe with other things; in my case, I found a tank top in my carry on where I had placed it in case we didn't get our luggage before dinner last night (and we very nearly didn't). But all is well and calmness reigns. We are here; our stuff is here. Life is good. 

The noon update was done by Captain Domenico Lubrano Lavadera who mentioned the bit of a roll we are experiencing (nothing bad though. I was able to survive the Cabaret Lounge test six times today. Located at the very front of the ship, the Cabaret Lounge when the sea is pitching a fit gives me fits, too, but I was fine today). Captain D also said that we are currently 2080 miles northeast of Hilo ('cause I know you were wondering). 

G had a busy morning, too. He accompanied me to Douglas' lecture and then attended the first of several progressive ukulele classes with Hawaiian ambassador Kimo. Later in the cruise they will all be performing in a passenger concert (I must video that one!). G then went to the Cruise Critic gathering and came to get me to go to lunch in the Club Restaurant with new friends Donna and Ron. Chicken korma and Reisling wine...need I say more?

I attended another lecture after lunch, "The Dark Side of Hawaii's History" by Dr. Samuel Glassner. Dr. Glassner talked about the diseases brought by European exploration to Hawaii, and specifically about Fr. Damien and the leper colony on Molokai. Very interesting!  It should also be noted that all of these cultural and historical activities and presentations are now billed under the Princess 50th anniversary offerings as Festivals of the World (like the Mardi Gras parties and the drumming circles were on the Caribbean Princess). I absolutely love the changes Princess has made in its 50th anniversary year. It makes the familiar seem new, a very good thing. 

G dragged me off to the 3:15pm BIG!!!!!! $500 Treasure Hunt Drawing*!!! (*must be present to win). Remember those from last year?  We didn't win anything today, of course, but after G takes the time to run around and get the required stamps on the entry forms and then fill one out with my name, it's the least (the very least) I can do. 

It was sunny out, and we sat in loungers in the shade on the sunny side of the Promenade Deck enjoying our first real taste of the sea. Good grief, I do love this life!  Then it was time to start getting cleaned up for the first of eleventy dozen formal nights we'll be experiencing this winter. And I have to admit that, this early in the season, I don't mind at all. I have worn nothing dressier than shorts, Ts and Birkenstocks for months now. It was nice to be dressed up a bit (a perspective that will change as the weeks- and formal nights- go by).



The Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party was held early, at 4:45pm in the Cabaret Lounge, just prior to our 5:30pm dinner seating. On a sea day, that's not too onerous a time, but it does make me wish for a dining time in between 5:30pm and 7:45pm. Alas, that is not to be without the Anytime Dining found only on Princess' larger ships. We adapted last year; we will adapt this year, too.


A very civilized way to start an evening at sea

We were seated tonight at our newly assigned table for two at first seating. It is not next to a window, but is only a few feet away and has a wonderful view of the ship's wake out of the large windows at the back. It should provide spectacular sights as we are leaving the islands each evening. We are being well served by Henry from the Philippines and Randal from India. Tonight's formal night menu was the 50th anniversary menu we've now had several times. We both enjoyed the salad and beef tenderloins accompanied by a bottle of merlot (I forget which one, exactly, but it was from Chile) and G was treated to a birthday cake for a pre-dessert (we celebrated it today) and then a Grand Marnier soufflé accompanied by ice cream. Yes, we are quickly getting very spoiled. We love it. 


Greg, serenaded by (from left) Randall from India and Lyndon and Henry from the Philippines

We had time before the 8:15pm production show to step out on the Promenade Deck for tonight's beautiful sunset. I took lots of photos and I'll post one from Hawaii. While this morning was slightly overcast, the sun came out in force this afternoon and evening. Still, it was quite chilly on deck, and I could have used the wool headband I brought from home...if I hadn't been dressed for formal night. 



The first production show of this cruise was Stardust. We were pleased at last night's Welcome Anoard show to see that the female vocalist again this year is Lainie Gullickson. Stardust is really primarily the singers' show and Lainie and male vocalist Shai harmonize beautifully. 

I returned to our cabin to start evening ablutions, prepare this blog post and watch Aerial America:  Hawaii on TV. G is out and about listening to music. He napped enough this afternoon to stay up a bit later; as you know, that is a skill I have yet to master. 

And a couple of housekeeping things I must mention before any more days go by:

We were told that the simple soda package (costing $4.50 per day) was discontinued on all Princess ships in May. Now, I stayed pretty busy all summer, but how did I miss that on Cruise Critic?  G has purchased the Ultimate Kids package, or whatever it's called these days, instead. On this ship, which lacks a dedicated ice cream venue, it's only $7.00 per day, since the ability to get milk shakes is more limited.  He's drinking a lot of mocktails and hot chocolate to make it worthwhile, but you know I only drink fuzzy water, and $7.00 per day for fuzzy water is a bit steep. Instead, I'm getting comfortable with ice water with lemon. 

Also not offered this cruise:  the wine package, where one can purchase 7 or 10 bottles of wine at a discount. I really enjoyed that last year on the cruise back from Papeete to Los Angeles and was hoping for a repeat. Instead, I am just ordering wine one bottle at a time. It's not a hardship, but I was kind of looking forward to the encouragement to drink wine with every lunch and dinner on sea days that the wine package provided. I have signed up for the Maitre de Wine Tasting at 2pm two days from now. We just received an invite to this cruise's Most Traveled Passengers' luncheon to be held the same day at noon. A sea day filled with excellent food and wine...now THAT's the way to spend an afternoon!