Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Day 111: St. Thomas

Being on the 8am ferry to Water Island...ha ha ha ha ha
Being on the 10am ferry to Water Island...ha ha ha
Getting to Water Island at all...ha

I guess that was kinda silly, to think we'd actually get over there. We haven't been up before 9am all cruise (11am most days), and have been skipping breakfasts to go directly to lunch. I used to watch those previews of the Reflections videos, the video that is professionally filmed of each cruise, and wonder "How do those people have the energy to get to every party on board?", because we'd see the same faces over and over again on the video. Now we know. They slept until noon and were up until 2am. 

Hey, we can do that too!

Still, we had a couple of tasks to attend to today. G needed to make a deposit to his account at a local bank, to keep his account there active, and he wanted to buy Carnation coffee creamer at the Pueblo supermarket near Crown Bay. We used to poke fun at Pueblo as a supermarket until we saw Champion Supermarché in French Polynesia. Now we know.  Most of the world does not shop at Kroger. 

We had brunch in the Horizon Court Buffet, internetting away as we ate. OMG, this is sooooo easy, to have unlimited internet and phone calls every five days, at least. We truly missed this in French Polynesia. After we had checked accounts and paid a couple of bills, we walked off the ship to run our errands. 

Our first stop, of course, was for G to feed brioche to the iguanas. I suspect they have really missed him this winter. While this was our first trip to St. Thomas this season, by this time last winter we would have been here at least nine times. Would G have lost his nerve when it comes to feeding them out of his hand?  No way!

Far more amusing to me at this point than watching G feed brioche to the iguanas is watching our fellow passengers gather around him to gawk and squeal and take photos. 

This little guy seemed to remember it was safe to crawl up G's leg.

I didn't get too much further than this, and was on the far end of that brick sidewalk along the waterfront, when I caught a toe of my sandal on an uneven brick and tripped and fell. Hard. Oy ve. I was immediately certain I had killed myself. I rolled over onto my back and, assured that I was still alive, was next certain I had punctured a lung. I could not catch my breath. Of course, G and two others came rushing to assist me, but I just needed to lie there for a minute. Finally, I could breathe again, and then figured I had simply knocked the wind out of myself, but when I tried to get up, I felt severe pain in my right ribs. Okay, it was a cracked rib. I could handle that. I was going to live. 

What I wasn't going to do was follow G on his errands. I encouraged him to go on, and went to sit down on a seat in the shade. Luckily, I had picked up a wet chilled cloth when I had walked off the ship (hey...why aren't they using those as washcloths on board??) and used it to dab at the abrasion on my knee. G returned in less than an hour and I limped my way back on the ship. 

Well, after an Ibuprofen, things are looking (and feeling) better. It's possible I just have a bruised rib; I can breathe deeply, though coughing hurts (thank God this didn't happen three weeks ago!). We watched our St. Thomas sailaway from the Terrace Deck. then headed in to shower for dinner. 

You can see the top of a Royal Caribbean ship leaving Havensight in the distance

We're back to the land of port pilots and pilot boats after three months in French Polynesia

Our original destination for the day, Honeymoon Beach on Water Island.  Sadly, it looks even more developed than ever.

We ate quickly in order to get to the Captains Circle party held at 7:15pm in Club Fusion. It was nice to sit there and drink my fav Breeza Marinas. Captain Georgio Pomata had been late to last night's MTP party (with five ships in St. Martin, someone needed to be the last to leave, and the Caribbean Princess was the chosen one), but he was able to be at tonight's party. 

We are heading back out to first listen to the Massina Duo and then to the 50th Anniversary Love Boat Disco Deck Party. We can party like it's 1999 tonight; we don't arrive in Grand Turk until 1pm tomorrow, PLUS we move clocks back an hour tonight. 

We might even make it to breakfast!  ;-)