Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Day 24: Sick Day At Sea

I have little to report about today. Per Dr. Ana's instructions, I stayed down most of the day. In fact, I stayed so down that I slept most of the day, for hours and hours. I did join G for breakfast in the Club Restaurant, then swung into the Medical Center for a temperature and oxygen saturation test. I am definitely improving, but I didn't even go to the Veterans Day/ Remembrance Day program in the Cabaret Lounge, which several people (including G) pronounced 'tear-worthy'. I was sorry to miss that!

The noon update from the bridge woke me. Apparently we could see another island called Makatea (Mak-ah-TAY-ah), a coral atoll, off the port side of the Pacific Princess. This was too tempting to miss; I threw on some clothes and went out on the Promenade Deck to see it. And here's the thing about coral atolls:  they are flat, pancake flat. They appear almost as a cloud on the horizon. At least Makatea did. And Makatea...wasn't that the name of the island in that Harrison Ford- Anne Heche- pirates movie that took place in the South Pacific?  Maybe someone who has Internet instead of Undernet can check on that for me. Still, it was an island visible from the ship on a sea day and I have missed that during our sea days. I really shouldn't complain.

I was so thrilled about this sighting ;-) that I returned to bed and slept until 4pm when G's return to the cabin woke me. We decided to skip dressing for formal night and eventually went to the Panorama Buffet for a light dinner (onion soup and a wonderfully delicious carved salmon). Every cloud definitely has a silver lining; I was sorry to be sick on such a gorgeous weather day, but the tail end of the sunset, which we would have missed from the dining room; was quite pretty.  While we had a few bad weather days last cruise, ever since Bora Bora we've had absolutely perfect weather. 

Afterwards, we sat in loungers on the Promenade Deck and watched the moon glisten on the water; leading me to believe that a sick day at sea can be even better than a healthy day at home. And tomorrow should be even better.  G's gone off to watch the production show. I have a date with two pills and a pillow. 

And, finally, G has been doing battle with those new "improved" slim rounds of soap since we boarded the Pacific Princess. They are so tiny that, even when brand new, they slip through the bars in the soap holder in the shower. And every time he bends down to pick one up, he'd smack his head on the faucet when he'd stand back up. He was on track to 'Come Back New' alright...newly bruised and concussed.  (I have not yet been similarly bothered, because I'm still using soap from home, but eventually...)

The Great Soap Experiment was started yesterday. He got five rounds of soap from our steward, soaked them overnight in water, and, counting on the slight indentations on one side of each soap round to act as a suction, managed to get them all permanently glued together. He now has a soap shaped like a can, nicely sized to use while showering, that doesn't slip out of his hand or off of the soap holder. 


It's a very good thing. ;-)