Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Day 23: Huahine

It was time to play catch up, and, despite the glorious weather we had in Huahine, today was the day. While I was up early, I missed our sail in to Huahine, choosing instead to use the early hour to upload photo after photo from yesterday's wonderful experiences. G met me for breakfast about 7:30am (he HAD been up with the FODs (fans of Douglas) on Deck 11 forward) and we had a delicious breakfast with lots of fresh fruit. Meanwhile, from every window in the dining room we saw lush, green mountains. That is the unique thing about being in Maroe Bay between Huahine Nui and Huahine Iti...the islands seem to close in around the ship and there are views in every direction. It's a bit like being in the Inside Passage in Alaska.

Still, the list of things that needed to be done was weighing heavily on me this morning. We have things to be cancelled, things to be booked, and we still need to figure out, by Friday, what our plans will be in the Caribbean in January and beyond. All of these things were in and on my mind but not on paper; heaven help us if something happened to me, because, as the chief travel planner of this couple, G would have no idea where to start or where we have financial obligations related to our travel. I plan and he pays, and it's a wonderful system until it feels like a deck of cards and a game of 52 Pickup, and that was where we were after we so significantly changed our travel plans for the Pacific Princess yesterday. 

It would have been easy to put off any work until our day at sea tomorrow, but we now have two cruise's worth of experience under our belts. Internet will be really bad from tonight until Friday when we return to Raiatea and the Society Islands. And Friday is a drop dead date influencing several plans. So we were disciplined today and made lists and reached agreements and started making those changes in air and hotel reservations that are required. We'll let Future Cruise Consultant Catherine handle the Princess Cruises side of things, but I still had to supply her with a list what needed to be done. All in all, it took the rest of the morning and into the afternoon to feel like we (I) once again had things under control. 

That reminds me that I have not yet posted the itinerary for this cruise. I won't bother to post the map; I've posted them already, but here is the schedule of ports and times:

So, we now have a day at sea, followed by Rangiroa in the Tuamotu Archipelago and another day at sea retuning to the Society Islands, a prescription for Undernet if ever there was one. 

Speaking of prescriptions, i am fighting a sinus infection, scratchy throat and laryngitis, not initially bad enough for a doctor's visit, but bad enough to make our cabin more inviting than going ashore for a couple of hours mid-afternoon or even watching the Mammas of Huahine folkloric show that performed at 2pm. G came and went from the cabin; he saw the show then used a hot tub (I remember mumbling warnings from under the covers about using sunscreen). By 4:45pm I was feeling steadily worse, and could tell by my lightheadedness that my oxygen saturation was dropping. I was at the doctor when she opened at 5pm (ever the comic, G asked if I needed to be driven. No, I walked up one flight of stairs, thank you), and left with two prescriptions sure to have me back in good health by Raiatea (see above schedule). I guess it was fortuitous that it happened now with two sea days and no firm plans for Rangiroa (I don't think. I need to check our schedule; I'm having the hardest time keeping excursions straight from cruise to cruise and forgot about our dive in Raiatea two cruises ago until they sent me an email the night before). 

G went with me to the buffet to get some soup, and we were witness to a colorful sunset over Huahine off the back of the ship. He then proceeded to the dining room for dinner ('cause they don't serve ice cream for dessert in the buffet!), leaving me to the quiet of our cabin to hopefully get some sleep. 


Say some slogans, please, for a quick recovery!