Thursday, September 24, 2026

Things are changing

After a very hard, pretty stressful week, we were due for some good luck. And we sure got it today, though not everyone would agree. I was back from the pool and having my first cup of coffee when G asked me to check on cabin availability for our first cruise, starting tomorrow.   Now, between you and me, I’ve been doing that every day, as our cabin for our first cruise was on a different deck (though same elevator bank) from the cabin we’d booked for the Grand transpacific cruise. That was the best that was available when we added that cruise at the beginning. And for at least a month that cabin category has been sold out, so I wasn’t hopeful. Well, do you believe in miracles?  Today there was one cabin available, the same cabin we have booked for cruise #2. I was dialing 1-800-PRINCESS so fast that I didn’t even take time to refresh my coffee. It was a different (lower) category than we had originally booked, and the agent needed to contact her “lead” about it but kept telling me we’d get $18 and change back. Interesting, but I don’t care. Just get us that cabin!  And they did. And I gladly took the post-call survey and gave her all 5s. 

No move between cruises. It was our lucky day!

But it got better, a couple of hours later I received an email. Our itinerary was completely changing due to Hurricane Polo. Instead of what I published last night, we’ll be spending two days in San Diego, a long day in Cabo and a day in Mazatlan. Except for the fact that we pre-purchased admission to Balandra Beach in La Paz (hey, maybe we can get down there for a land trip!?!), we love the changes. People who live in SoCal might do feel a bit differently. This isn’t even remotely the Sea of Cortez cruise people signed up for. But we were given a choice:  cancel for a full refund or cruise and get $100 On Board Credit.

I have never been to San Diego (except for a sail in 24 years ago, but that’s a whole other story). I am thrilled. So is G. He has been there, has much to show me, and we already have dinner reservations on the bay for Saturday night. We’ll be celebrating our anniversary then. 

The suitcases are closed and weighed.  The three we’ll be checking come in at 39 pounds each. Lightly packed, we are not. But I feel certain we’ll be very comfortable regardless of weather for the next ten weeks. 

 Now, if Nolo would just be kind to Hawaii…

Are we surprised that Princess attached the old itinerary instead of the new one to their email today?
 Nope, not one bit. We don’t care. We’re just happy with the changes.