Sunday, October 17, 2021

Day 3: At Sea

I didn’t finish yesterday’s blog post until midnight, and last night’s show motivated me to re-watch Carpool karaoke with Paul McCartney (Google it if you haven’t seen it),  AND we moved clocks ahead an hour on top of that. Still, I was awake before sunrise, and dressed, ready to enjoy the start of a new day from the balcony. We usually get a cabin on the starboard side of the ship (just force of habit, I guess), but specifically chose this cabin on the port side to see the sunrise while cruising down the west coast of Mexico. We have not been disappointed. 


Then we were off to our Sabatini’s breakfast. It doesn’t get any better than that…except it could be a little less shaky and rattle-y up there. Once again today, a dish inched off an empty table and crashed to the floor. Sleeping had been a bit rough too, but Captain Martin Stenzel said it was because the current was working against us and the itinerary combined with our late departure from LA  was forcing us to cruise these first two days at 22mph. As of noon today, the current had already started working in our favor, and we’ll be able to slow down a little after Puerto Vallarta. 



Such a spectacular way to start the day!
Notice the salmon “iris”

The first passenger COVID test was being administered today, and there was a bit of a line when we walked around the ship after breakfast. Other than that, the Emerald Princess feels empty. I hadn’t really realized how that felt until this morning. With the exception of lunch in the DaVinci Dining Room and the Princess Theater shows, we’ve definitely been hanging out on the back of the ship. Especially with the Emerald Princess show band performing in Adagio the first evening, we hadn’t ventured across Deck 7 until tonight. 

We returned to the cabin to scope out the football situation today. Yesterday was a bye week for Michigan so I never even attempted to find college ball on TV. And I was deeply disappointed but not surprised that there were no NFL games scheduled to be shown on MUTS today. We can’t stream games on the iPad using our Xfinity app when we’re not at home, so that was no help. Anything we watched was going to have to be on the cabin TV. 

Well, we were able to watch the Chiefs game (not too riveting), then went to lunch in the DaVinci Dining Room. We had talked to Sabatini’s waiter Fabio from Italy this morning and he told us that head waiter (now they’re called Restaurant Managers) Francesco was on board. Francesco? Older guy?  Italian? Yes, that Francesco. I was so happy to hear that. I’ve thought of Francesco more than any other crew member since this whole thing started. He is the head waiter who was on the Emerald Princess for at least two of our early cruising seasons, and when we walked into the dining room for lunch our first day on the Majestic Princess in Auckland in December 2019, we were greeted by Francesco. He made those Majestic Princess cruises so special for us. So when the pandemic began to shut down the world, I wasn’t certain if Francesco was still on a ship or at home in Italy, and neither was a most reassuring prospect. I had hoped to see him on the Majestic Princess in August but he wasn’t there. 

I asked head waiter Ricardo at lunch today if he knew if Francesco was on board. Most definitely, they flew from Italy together. Apparently, he was working in the Michelangelo Dining Room right then, but before we knew it he was standing at the side of our table. Francesco told us that we were the first of “his” guests that he had seen since the pandemic.  He said it best…”I want to hug and we can’t hug!!”  Same, Francesco. Same.🙂

Day 3 lunch menu



We limited lunch to just an entree  (stuffed pepper for me) and it was still too much. We eat just two meals a day at home and I have vowed that, starting tomorrow, that’s all I’m going to have for a few days. We are much better at moderation when we cruise for months at a time than when it’s for a week or two. Now we kind of feel like most people do:  Live it up, we’re on vacation!

We went directly from lunch to Club Fusion for our COVID antigen test (ours was scheduled for 2pm). Our temps were taken and we were seated in groups of four and instructed how to administer the test to ourselves. Afterward, we were asked to return to our cabin for 30 minutes and they would call us if we were positive. We were repeatedly and profusely thanked for our  cooperation, but every guest I saw was extremely accepting of the process and requirement. Still, it reiterated to me that I am not interested in cruising the way we used to right now, even if we could. 


The Patriots v. Cowboys game was on when we returned to the cabin, so we alternately watched that and dozed for awhile, trying to make up for last night’s lost sleep. The ship was definitely more stable this afternoon. Still not great, but better. Just after 3pm there was a knock on the door. G answered it and said someone from Medical wanted to speak with me. Uh oh. It was nurse Estelle, and, sure enough, I was among a handful of guests whose antigen test came back positive, and they wanted to do a PCR swab. She was very reassuring, telling me that all the other positive antigen guests subsequently tested negative on the PCR test but I’m thinking, “Oh, don’t turn this into a challenge, ‘cause I lose those every time”. But I am totally asymptomatic, so I wasn’t too concerned. (Except I know my track record. So, maybe just a little concerned.)

When she left, I immediately wanted to shower and get cleaned up, either for formal night, or for my imminent move to a COVID room on board tonight or a Mexican hotel room tomorrow. G, who can always, ALWAYS make me laugh, greeted me with, “Are you…positive?” (said in the same tone as “Are you…sure?”) when I stepped out of the shower. Then he wanted his hair trimmed, I suppose assuming he might soon lose his personal groomer. Yeah, he was a wreck over this. 😉

We returned to the game, getting updates from the Broncos game on Twitter (ugh).  About 4:20pm, nurse Estelle called. Negative!  Get the party started on a Sunday night!  She also told me that the test was not a CDC requirement, but a Panamanian requirement. I’m glad someone else has to keep all these regulations straight!





We went to dinner in the Botticelli Dining Room not even the slightest bit hungry but I will skip lunch before I skip dinner. Besides, we really would miss Anil and Verna…and now Francesco, who just tonight became our Restaurant Manager. Talk about a dream team!




Coconut ”moose”
G’s favorite

We spent sunset on the Promenade Deck, and, like so many moments on this ship, that brought back some wonderful memories. The air is now warm and is becoming more humid and it feels really nice…so far. 


Any day that includes a sunrise AND a sunset on the water is a very good day!

We sat in the Explorers Lounge and listened to party band Symphonee from Barbados for the first time tonight. They are incredible entertainment, and we will have to make listening to them a priority every evening, especially since  the Princess Theater show doesn’t start until 9pm. 

At 8pm, we sat through (but didn’t really participate in) Beatles trivia, and then 10 minutes before 9pm (this cruise…no waiting for anything!) we went to the Princess Theater for today’s highlight, production show Sweet Soul Music. Love love love that music! I can’t imagine how it must feel as a performer to do what you love in front of a live audience for the first time in over a year and a half. 

We returned to the cabin just in time to see the Steelers OT win, then enjoyed some time on the balcony. It had been a very good day. 

Day 3 Princess Patter