Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sunrise, Day 5





I am really enjoying my early morning walks up on Deck 19. Generally, when I get up there about 5:45am, there are no other passengers and only one crew member present. He scrubs that small running track in great detail every single morning, and if I look down at the open public decks down the back of the ship, I see the same thing occurring on every level. This ship is spotless!

This time alone, usually spent listening to an audiobook, is usually the only time spent alone the entire day, save a few cabin breaks when G is out exploring on his own. I've decided I need that time, as the rest of the day I am always around others. Cruising is a very social pastime, and it's typical to engage in discussions of at least 10 minutes with total strangers throughout the course of the day.

We went ashore in Dominica, and met with some disappointment. I had learned, on the Internet, that Dominica had a bus system (of sorts)...a series of minivans that ran all over the island. The fare was US$1 per person each way, and we could get to Dominica's famous Champagne Reef via the "bus". It sounded good to us, and we love riding local buses. So we set off in search of the bus terminus, which is basically the side of ridiculously narrow street with one foot deep open sewers along each side. Through asking several locals, we eventually ended up at the minivan that went to Champagne Reef. But, because the cruise ship was in port, the bus became a taxi and the fare was to be US$50 for a round trip ride.

$50 when the ship is in port; $4 when it's not. What a ripoff! We can get there by boat on a ship's excursion for $39pp, and have a nice boat ride and and open bar on the return to boot. We may have to do that on a future cruise. We've been to Champagne Reef twice before, once on the ship's excursion and once by private taxi (for a lot less than $50!).

We walked around a bit, and hot and thirsty we returned to the coolness of the ship. We had lunch on the back terrace overlooking the Caribbean, and then I walked again, this time in the shade on Promenade Deck 7. It is too hot, this time of day, to walk in the open sun on Deck 19.

I'm about to head to the Terrace Pool for a soak, and then will get cleaned up for another evening of dinner, drink and entertainment.

I could get used to this.