Saturday, August 5, 2023

Day 12: Skagway

Every so often I need an Opposite Day.  Looking back at the years when we cruised for months at a time, I’m frankly surprised that we didn’t take more Opposite Days than we did.  But we were much younger then. 😉  After 11 days, I needed a day off. .. or, at least, a partial day off. 

I woke up this morning still tired, not one bit hungry and knowing I had some family things to take care of. And so I spent all day on the ship, much of it in our cabin where What’s App calling worked perfectly.  Every so often I wandered onto the copious back decks just feet from our cabin door to take in the view.  It was another glorious weather day. What did we do to deserve this?

G brought me a juice and a decaf cappuccino before he went to breakfast in Sabatini’s, so I was set for food for several hours. He got off the ship (it’s one of the tenets of his religion) just to get some exercise. The Sapphure was berthed at the “bad” Main Street dock today in Skagway, and that increases the walking time to go anywhere by nearly 10 minutes each way. 

Of course, Princess in Skagway offers two special events:  entertainer Steve Hites story telling about the history of Alaska in music, and Puppies in the Piazza, but we have been to both before (and enjoyed them too). So today really was a day without commitments, and I relished the thought of it. 

I ordered Room Service via the OceanNow feature of the app this afternoon, tortilla chips and chili, and was surprised to see the price of pizza has gone up…a lot. It was $3! But I really thought it would be free under the new system. I guess not. I really can’t keep up with all the changes. 

G wanted go to dinner in the Pacific Moon Dining Room, just to demonstrate how much we appreciate our table by the window. It was Italian night and penne arrabbiatta was prepared in the dining room again. But even the allure of lots of garlic couldn’t get me to dress up to join G. He ate lightly and quickly and then joined me on the Terrace Deck as the Sapphire Princess sailed away from Skagway. 

It was Italian night in the Horizon Court Buffet too. It was also my very first time even walking through the buffet on these two cruises. I filled a bowl with Parmesan shards and grapes, and got a glass of merlot from the Outriggers Bar (open until 10:30pm tonight) and we joined the “back of the ship” people who eschew Princess Theater Shows and International Cafe treats and puppies in the Piazza for a warm, beautiful sail away on the open decks. 

Dinner with a view.
Life is good. :)

We talked Michigan Football with some Ohio State fans and heard about their experience in the land portion of their cruise tours. We’ve had fantastic weather but even as far north as Denali, the views are reported to have been clear and endless. 



Sail away from Skagway about 9:30pm


The Sapphire Princess webcam at 10pm

We missed this tonight. It looked like fun,
but sail away on the Terrace Deck won out. 


Source:  Princess Cruises


Source:  Princess Cruises
 

Source:  Princess Cruises

Source:  Princess Cruises