Sunday, July 30, 2023

Day 6: Skagway

We’re having the most incredible weather in Alaska this cruise. Day after day of cloudless shoes and warm temps. I think it’s going to change in a big way for the next cruise, but that’s okay. Batting 50% in Alaska is actually pretty amazing. 

We arrived in Skagway at 6am, well before we were up and about. We were not surprised that the Sapphire Princess was not at its usual berth, but instead was at the pier at the south end of Broadway due to a rock slide that closed the usual pier about this time last year. This is actually a wonderful thing as it puts guests closer to the shops and bars in town. We wondered where the White Pass Railroad train would be located, and now it pretty much takes over the town, blocking traffic when it is there. Guests board the train in front of the ship.  It’s not far but it’s also not as close as it was on the other pier. 

As usual, we started our day at the juice bar with Judith and Sonu. I love this feature of the Princess Plus package. It’s actually better than I’d imagined it would be, since the juices are squeezed fresh and are not from concentrates. I’m making my way through the menu but also have The Booster everyday. It’s obviously much better than thempowderee greens drinks I use at home. We then went to Sabatini’s for another wonderful breakfast. I’m skipping the mimosa (the waiters call it Happy Juice) these days. In fact my drink total today was 4. Actually, 3.25 since I’m not finishing most of them. I can’t keep up, but enjoy the non-alcoholic drinks a great deal. 

The Booster juice blend
Carrot, turmeric powder and ginger

The brioche French toast in Sabatini’s is worlds better than the Belgian waffle. 
But the cinnamon apple slices are perfect. 

When we went to get off the ship, they were in the process of repositioning the gangway, so I took those few minutes and wandered over to the International Cafe. We haven’t eaten there at all yet, but I’m going to have to change that. I’m not a pastry or of donut-type person (except for Christmas stollen!), but they feature an avocado toast and a grilled veggie sandwich that look really good. Chia puddings, too, that I’m sure are made with cow’s milk. 

I finally made it to the International Cafe… not to eat but to photograph. 



 

We eventually made it off the ship and walked first to the Klondike Goldrush National Historic Monument Visitor Center where we watched the video that wasn’t running two years ago during COVID and walked through the museum. 150,000 men came to Skagway to search for gold, and so many of them were caught unprepared that the government started requiring them to have a year’s worth of food and supplies. They had to haul 2000 pounds of supplies over White Pass, taking as many as 50 trips to do so. 

We walked about six blocks up Broadway and over to the Skagway Museum, housed in a former Methodist Church and school intended to get the 300 women off the streets of Skagway. It didn’t open until 1pm on Sunday, so we’ll have to check it next cruise. 


The Sapphire Princess was berthed at the south end of Broadway right in town. 
Very convenient for exploring Skagway. 

Looking north from the ship up Broadway. 


We were getting hungry and decided to return to the ship, planning to further explore after lunch, but we never did get off the ship again. Instead of pizza, today we decided to have burgers, a rare treat for me. It was delicious (I skipped the French fries). I remember when we used to dive while on cruises, we would return to the ship carrying our gear, go directly to the Lido Deck and eat a hamburger in the hot sun. We’d be cold and hungry and that satisfied on both counts. I continue to try the different Alaskan beers but may have gotten through them all (three) now. I will have to ask around the different bars. 


Lunch at the Trident Grill on Deck 14 midship.
 It was a hard choice between a burger and the street tacos but that’s why we stay on for two cruises. 
I know from experience that the veggie burger is no bueno. 
 
I allow myself one hamburger per calendar year.
The last one was in November 2022. 
This is 2023’s. It was worth the wait. 
🙂

Today’s Alaskan beer, an IPA. 
I thought it was pretty good but I really just wanted the can. 
So far the Alaskan White has been my favorite. 

Purely for the pic, I got a Donatello ice cream dessert today while there was no line. 
I am lactose intolerant and don’t like mixed flavors and textures at all (obviously not the target audience)
 but I picked out the two small pieces of key lime bar in it and left the rest. 

Our view at lunch on the Lido Deck. 
Another beautiful weather day. 

After we were fed, we got sleepy, and headed back to what we consider “our” balcony, the area just below the Terrace Deck where there are two double loungers. Something about them puts us right to sleep. We need one of those loungers for our deck!  It was warm and toasty in the sun, but became increasingly windy. 

We napped under this loudly snapping flag. 
That’s some kind of tired. Or relaxed. Or both. 

We were showered and at dinner by 5:15pm, not particularly hungry after a burger at 1pm. But I choose two excellent items and skipped dessert (and even forgot to scan the separate dessert menu for the blog). 



Wild Mixed Greens

Cauliflower steak, one of the best things I’ve ever had on Princess. 

Another fabulous day

We checked out Puppies in the Piazza after dinner. The 3 month old  pups clearly did not want to be there. Not sure how I feel about this one. They say the socialization is important and a learning experience for the pups, but they had just spent a hour in the crew bar being socialized, and I wonder how much is too much. 


Tonight’s Princess Thester entertainment was production show Do You Wanna Dance. I picked up an Elderflower Paloma en route at the Wheelhouse (delish) and, even though we could probably dance that show ourselves we’ve seen it so many times, we really enjoyed it.  The Thai dancing always reminds me of Suttipong, Surasit and Nikorn’s Thai dance in the Crew Talent Show on the Emerald Princess. I miss those guys, but we are still in touch after more than ten years!



Walking across the Promenade Deck from the front of the ship to the back, the sun was shining just right at 8:30pm to take a pic of the view and the rock slide. They’ve tried to stabilize it with nets but I can’t imagine that pier ever being able to be re-opened. It’s just going to continue to erode. It’s a lucky thing no one was seriously injured when it happened. 


We have really enjoyed party band Gravity, and went to the 70s night party in Club Fusion. They are fantastic; don’t miss this party if you’ll be on the ship anytime soon.  And by 10pm our day was done. We will be picking up the Glacier Bay National Patk rangers at 6am tomorrow. It will be an early day, but at least the scenery will come to us. That’s my favorite kind of cruise day!


Source:  Princess Cruises


Source:  Princess Cruises


Source:  Princess Cruises

Source:  Princess Cruises