Thursday, November 29, 2018

Day 42: At Sea

I slept 13 hours straight last night. 13 hours, and this after napping throughout the day. Yep, we were that tired, but we also felt so happy about all we’d done and seen since we left home six weeks ago. In fact, over dinner we agreed that our brief stay in Dubai, and the hotel we stayed at, was a perfect way to celebrate our 35th anniversary. It was as memorable as our honeymoon, a real stand out among all the places we’ve ever visited, and there’s admittedly been a fair bit of competition for that claim. 

For the first time ever, there was no need to spend time looking for things in the cabin this morning. It’s obvious to us that we know precisely how to unpack in a normal Princess Grand Class ship inside cabin. And that’s a good thing because I had just enough time to get showered before we went to breakfast/lunch in the International Dining Room at noon. 

It’s so interesting to see how this same ship that we were on just four weeks ago has an entirely different feel here in Southeast Asia. Part of it is the climate, of course (BTW, we passed over the equator just after 3am). Instead of that cold rain we had in Paris and Barcelona and Toulon, it is warm and sunny and the outside decks are full of passengers swimming and soaking up the rays. Our fellow guests (2800…this ship is full) are largely from the US and Canada, with a notable number from Australia and smaller number from the UK. As might be expected, I think there are large groups of Asian-Americans and Asian-Canadians on board, but far fewer numbers of people from these Southeast Asia countries. 

Our lunch companions were from New Zealand and Toronto, and the latter are staying on until Shanghai, as we are. The other couple was from Auckland and gave us several ideas for things to do in the ports, which we need. We’ll definitely be traveling by the seat of our pants for the next 38 days. 

We walked along the upper decks after lunch, including the area above the bridge which I’m quite happy is open on this ship. The Java Sea was just slightly dimpled today, and it’s hard to know we are even on a ship. We were sailing through an area of small islands, very green and somewhat hilly. It was beautiful. 

It was nearly 3pm when we returned to our cabin and we rested for another hour (we are so happy to be reunited with the Sapphire’s on demand TV system. What a difference from both the Norwegian Spirit and Pacific Princess!). We watched the port lecture that had been given this morning on our first port of Benoa, Bali, Indonesia. This entire area is new to us; these lectures will hopefully be very helpful (hopefully!). 

We worked together to cut our hair before our first formal night of the cruise. I am a mess, travel weary, full of bruises on my arms and legs from hanging on to bars on buses and subways and having train and elevator doors close on me and hauling luggage. Being two weeks behind on my hair cut made me feel particularly shabby. But you haven’t heard me mention hair color…and you won’t, either. I took the plunge last spring and let my grey hair grow out. I had tried this when I turned 50, but it was too soon and I looked too unkempt.  But now, after a summer of looking like a calico cat, I no longer have to worry about searching high and low to find Dark Blonde (Golden) hair color in a Southeast Asia port. 

We needed to do the personal clean up; we had to pose for formal portraits again tonight (and I bet you know why ;-)). We went wild, and had them taken with three different back drops. Then we went to a new table for dinner in the Vivaldi Dining Room. That was a surprise; we had received a table re-assignment card in our mailbox this morning, and weren’t sure what to expect, but we discovered that we are now next to a window in a quiet corner of the dining room.

It’s good to be home!

Tonight was the Captain’s Welcome Aboard Party and Champagne Waterfall, but we just walked through, stopping only to give/get hugs from a few crew members and officers who welcomed us back. We went to the Princess Theater early enough to score two of those extra legroom seats. I napped again tonight…but only during the 45 minute wait for production show Born to be Wild to begin. Once it did, I was all eyes and ears. I love that pink Cadillac on stage!

G is out listening to…something, either Big Band or Disco. The Asian couples onboard offer some of the best entertainment around; their dance skills are always fun to watch. I am tucked into bed blogging and watching TV. And, speaking of beds, I don’t know what mattresses we have, but they are fantastic!  This is not the same as every other Princess Luxury Bed I’ve slept on over the years. These are like those on the Norwegian Spirit; firm enough for me, cushion-y enough for G, and my back is already happy with the change. 

G claims he’s going to wake me up tomorrow to watch the sunrise. I’m rather dubious. But I know the man…once he sets his mind on something, he usually makes it happen. And if we pull that off, I think I’ll be able to say we’re over the jet lag and the busy days of sightseeing, followed by more jet lag, and are ready to start exploring the ports. They will be so different from anything we’ve ever seen. In the words of McGee, I just don’t know what to expect. 

But I know I can’t wait. :-)