Thursday, November 2, 2017

Day 20: At Sea

Today was the first day we’ve enjoyed that in any way resembled a typical tropical cruise. G woke me up to join him on the Terrace Deck about 7:15am, and I was shocked to see it was sunny and warm enough to dress in shorts and T-shirts (though my fleece was both worn and not worn intermittently).  We were so happy to note that we had not a single commitment the entire day:  no luncheons, no pictures, no parties, and G even talked me out of going to Thais’ meditation session. Instead, I listened to meditative nature sounds on my iPhone and relaxed in a lounger overlooking the wake and miles of endless open Coral Sea. 

We ate breakfast out there, with G gathering fruits and nuts for me and a cheesy omelet for himself. We didn’t abandon our loungers until nearly 11am, when I went to the gym to use a treadmill (there are only two recumbent bikes, and I have yet to get one, regardless of when I am in there). We met up for lunch in the Donatello Dining Room (British Pub Lunch was also being served, in the Crown Grill for a change), and I had one of my favorite lunch entrees, broccoli and cauliflower with a tomato sauce and and pine nuts. In fact, it’s so good, I had two.  ;-)

We changed into swimsuits and used the hot tubs and pool in the Lotus Spa area, and, for the first time, used the steam rooms and  saunas there too. I had been under the impression that these were coed on the Golden Princess,  but they are not. However, they are directly accessible from the pool and hot tubs, and that’s nice. 

We returned to the cabin where we started watching a movie about Ray Kroc and McDonalds and got caught up in that until it was time to get ready for dinner. (Is this sounding like a sea day, or what?)  I had a delicious black bean and pumpkin soup (perhaps my single favorite food so far this cruise), salad and a yummy vegetable curry.  The Indian food on this ship is the best. G wants me to mention that he had only a salad as his entree...with pineapple flambé and macadamia ice cream for dessert.



We had an abundance of entertainment options tonight, and went to dinner at 5pm to fit it all in. First we went to the 6:45pm Neil Diamond Tribute Act by Peter Byrne in the Vista Lounge (excellent) followed by the 7:45pm performance by Danny Elliott in the Princess Theater. Danny played 8 or 9 different instruments and sang and tap danced and was just an amazing talent and received a standing O at the end. Add to those shows all the live musical entertainment and the usual game shows and trivia and this ship is simply packed with entertainment. We love it!

That was our day, perfect from start to finish. Tomorrow is another sea day that will be almost as relaxing, but will include a formal night. Our weather remained sunny all day, the sea swell has diminished considerably (it’s still a little bouncy), and the air temp should continue to warm as we head north. This is cruising at its very best. 

Life is good. :-)