Monday, October 16, 2017

Day 3: At Sea

We’ve decided a sea day is our favorite way to start a cruise. We slept until about 5am today and, before we went to breakfast, unpacked the few remaining items in one of our suitcases. G even figured out a way to move the bunk ladders in the closet and fit two of our three large suitcases in there, allowing us to open the mini fridge door. We are now comfortably settled in this cabin...for the next 8 days. 

G left the cabin before I did (as is his custom) and made the rounds on the ship, but we met up in the Donatello Dining Room for breakfast when it opened at 7:30. Waiter Renato and junior waiter Princess (really), both from the Philippines, served us at a table for six. This is becoming a common discussion between G and I:  do we want a table for two (my choice) or a table by a window (G’s choice)?  We can’t have both on the Golden Princess. Naturally, we end up joining others at a table by a window (which tells you all you need to know about the balance of power at our house!). This morning we were seated with couples from Australia and New Zealand, and enjoyed wonderful conversation until, inevitably, the conversation turned to Donald Trump.

That seems to be happening a lot Down Under. :-(

Following breakfast, we parted ways. G went to a lecture (sadly not by Douglas Pearson) on Brisbane, while I chose to go to a meditation session taking place in the Hearts and Minds Wedding Chapel On Deck 15 aft. An activity defined by sitting or laying down...clearly meditation is right up my alley. Thinking, non thinking- I can do both equally well. Cruise staffer Thais from Brazil is a doll, and started us in the 30 minute session by guiding our breathing while relaxing music comprised of a simple piano song, wind chimes and ocean surf played in the background. Now THIS was fun. Other free activities I didn’t get to included Zumba, Tai Chai, Bible study, Knitter and Knatters, trivia, fruit and vegetable carving, another lecture on climate history, arts and crafts and tap dancing...all before lunchtime. For someone accustomed the slower pace of the Pacific Princess, this was all a lot to take in. 

G and I met up in the cabin around noon, and went together to this cruise’s BIG!!!!!! $1000 Treasure Hunt Drawing*!!! (*must be present to win), and, naturally, won NOTHING and then went directly into the Donatello Dining Room for lunch. We were seated at the same table with waiters Renato and Princess but this time were joined by two other American couples (the odds of that happening on this ship are staggering), and neither politics, nor religion, ever once came up. Amen! Lunch was a salad and then a broccoli and cauliflower entree served with a tomato sauce and pine nuts. 

After lunch I went to the fitness center to use a treadmill.  It started becoming a little more bouncy this afternoon, with large sprays of water shooting up from the bow, and I just didn’t want to get covered by salt spray walking on the Promenade Deck. I returned to the cabin just as G was leaving, already dressed in his tuxedo, for the Cruise Critic meet and greet for this cruise. That worked well, as I had the cabin to myself to get ready for formal night. 

We met up again in Skywalkers for the PES Lounge, and then stopped both before and after dinner to have formal portraits taken (you might be able to guess why ;-)). Dinner was superb. We both had the kiwi and grapefruit starter, and then I was served a plate of veggies in lieu of a salad followed by seafood stew in a tomato base. Headwaiter Gabriel (he is from Romania, I’ve discovered) is really wonderful in working with me to point out things I can eat, but I really haven’t had to go ‘off menu’ yet. I will tomorrow night but just slightly. I will get a vegetable korma as my entree but made without dairy. 

The Captain’s Welcome Aboard Party and Champagne Waterfall was held starting at 7pm, so we left the dining room and went right into the Piazza so G could drink his champagne (and mine. He is enjoying my abstemious lifestyle immensely). We left just before the introduction of the officers to get a seat in the Princess Theater for production show British Invasion. I loved the show but G was not impressed. When even two people who agree on most things have different opinions about the entertainment, it’s easy to see why that occurs in the general passenger population. There was also a pianist performing in the Vista Lounge and, though we didn’t make it to the show, we loved that we had a second choice. Again, after the Pacific Princess, the number of options is almost overwhelming. 

We’ve managed to stay up until 9:30pm tonight, so I think we’re pretty much adjusted to the time change.  However, we’re in for for another one tonight. Brisbane, our port for tomorrow, does not go on DST, and so is an hour behind Sydney. We’re moving clocks back an hour tonight, which means that we’re going to bed at 8:30pm. One step forward, two steps back. I’m glad we’re here longer than one cruise. We’ll eventually get on track.  

A few comments about these Golden Princess cruises-

Our onboard account is in Australian dollars (AUD). Our on board credits (OBC) are in AUD too, but they are the same amount as they would be in the US. We basically lose 20% of our OBC value cruising on this ship. We knew it in advance, so it wasn’t a surprise, but I’m not sure why it works that way. We are charged for daily tips, but I’m not sure if they are at the same daily rate in AUD as in USD. Since these early bookings included free gratuities, I won’t know for a few weeks. 

There is no 15% gratuity added to drink prices. When I do the conversion, it appears that (at least) the Perrier I had last night was a little cheaper than it would have been on US based ships. 

The ship is slightly rocky tonight but it is certainly not bad at all. I had expected much worse movement on all these cruises. 

I had read that Australian cruises are very casual, dress-wise and they certainly are. I needn’t have worried; we fit right in with what we brought to wear.  We do have formalwear but our smart casual wear is more casual than smart (because we had to think ahead to Hawaii). 

The alarm is set for 6am tomorrow, though I suspect we’ll be up long before that. We have a fun day planned but the weather looks iffy. Fingers crossed that we don’t return to the ship smelling of wet koala!