Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A book recommendation for those traveling to Croatia

I rarely do this, pop in during the time we're home to publish a blog post, but felt impelled today to do just that. As I mentioned in my blog posts from Croatia, particularly Dubrovnik, last winter, I was struck by the country's friendliness and hospitality to its many visitors despite its very recent past. How did these people, so recently at war, cope and subsequently recover? For those many crew members on cruise ships that come from that area, what had their childhoods been like?  How does a society move from peace to war and back again so quickly? I was left wondering...

While I was in Hawaii, I discovered an excellent book written from a child's perspective about growing up in Croatia during the Balkans War. It has won many awards and accolades, and today only is available through BookBub.com (a free service featuring daily ebook deals for free or at very low cost) for just $1.99. If you happen to read this post today you might want to check into it. If you don't see this until later, but are traveling to the area this summer, you still might want to buy it or borrow it from a library. 

It's a good- no, it's better than good- thing. :-)