Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Day 97: Princess Cays


We enjoyed a fantastic first visit this season to Princess Cays, despite the less than stellar weather. In fact, it was maybe because the weather was overcast that it was such a great day. We didn't stress about getting too much sun, and everything seemed less crowded on the island. 

I knew the weather wasn't perfect as soon as the sun rose- or didn't rise- this morning. The ship remained on AST time today despite the fact that the Bahamas, where Princess Cays is located, is actually on EST. We are so far west now that sunrise today was at 7:51am, and long before that occurred I was sitting (alone, at the back corner table) in the DaVinci Dining Room having breakfast as it changed from night to day outside the window, but the clouds hung low and there wasn't a bit of sun to be seen. Luckily, there wasn't any wind, so the Emerald Princess was able to anchor and tender into Princess Cays.

I quickly had a fruit plate followed by a veggie omelet and swung by the Passenger Services Desk to get a copy of our onboard spending statement before the end of the cruise, and to make certain that our statement would roll over to the next cruise. One drawback of Princess@Sea is that I can't see G's spending statement, only my own. (However, because his credit card is on file for both of us, he can see my spending.)

Housekeeping complete, I returned to the cabin to find G stirring, and packed for a beach day. We went down to the International Cafe where G grabbed a quick breakfast and we waited for tender operations to begin. We managed to get on the first tender over to the island, and though it wasn't a pretty day, it's always exciting to see Princess Cays for the first time each season. We wasted no time in walking down to our usual spot past the BBQ pavilion. We can always find shade down there, but, of course, that wasn't an issue today.

No shortage of chairs!


I dumped my backpack, picked up my mask and snorkel and was the first one in the water. I love being able to get photos without the legs and fins that are inevitable later in the day. The water didn't feel too chilly, and I was later amazed to see that it was only 78F. I guess that when the air temp is about the same, that temperature is actually tolerable. I was happy to see a few fish as I made my way along the rocks, but they suddenly all headed in the same direction, toward the end of the feeding platform. Sure enough, G and others were out there creating a fish frenzy, but it was when someone threw in pieces of a burrito that they went really nuts. 



Lots of sargent major fish


Plaid trumpetfish


The feeding platform as seen from the water


We ate some of the fresh fruit that was being cut up, and were joined by Suzan and Greg for awhile. The BBQ buffet started early, around 11:15am, and we ate lunch and then returned to the ship. Our favorite Princess Cays routine when it's not perfect beach day weather, is to leave the island early, return to the ship, adjourn to the hot tub on the back of Deck 17 and look out at the Eluethera shoreline as we relax and have a drink. 

We dressed for dinner early and went up to Skywalkers to watch sailaway, taking a closer look as the Emerald Princess headed south and rounded the end of Eleuthera. The lighthouse is still there, and we could just make out the beaches on either side of it.  The Emerald Princess would spend the next 5 to 6 hours following the east Eleuthera shoreline north en route to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow morning. 








At dinner, I clarified the policy on the unused bottles of my wine package (they carry over to the next cruise), and maitre d' Giuseppe stopped by to confirm that our dinner table won't change next cruise (woohoo!!). We skipped dessert and made it to the 7pm performance of comedian Dean Gaines, a new comedian for us.  This is rare, and therefore a big deal!  I wasn't sure for the first few minutes if we would like him, but when he started doing impressions, we were firmly in his court. The guy was uniquely funny. 

I couldn't convince G to go to Kory Simon's Broadway sing along in the Explorers Lounge (I'm shocked!). He wanted to return to the cabin to watch movie The Intern, half of which he slept through last night, but first we went to the Horizon Court Buffet and I actually ate there for the first time this cruise. Suzan has been raving about the desserts up there, and tonight I had red velvet cheesecake. OMG, it was the best dessert I've had all cruise. I may need to stroll through there more often. 

We're back in the cabin watching the movie on TV. We set the clock back an hour tonight, and I think we may stay on EST for the next cruise, which goes only to Grand Cayman. It will be a quick cruise, and a bit more restful than our recent five ports in a row. Our Fort Lauderdale shopping list is ready (more Bandaids for blisters top it); we also need to do some banking and make some phone calls. That's the beauty of returning to Fort Lauderdale every few days...it's a far cry from staying in French Polynesia for months at a time. Plus, we love sailaways, and we'll get to enjoy many of them over the next few weeks. 

One cruise down, lots to go. 

My favorite part of doing back to back cruises is knowing I don't have to do this yet. I'm giggling here!!

Life is good. :-)