Sunday, March 1, 2015

Day 129: At Sea

Our entire day today was built around our 6pm reservation at the Crown Grill, which probably goes a long way in explaining why we don't dine at a specialty restaurant on every cruise. We didn't want to eat anymore than absolutely necessary until dinner because we knew what lay ahead. Didn't want to drink any alcohol until then because there is nothing (and I mean nothing) better than a good red wine with filet mignon (except maybe a good red wine with a spicy pasta...). Needed to be well rested and not suffering any ill effects from yesterday's "wasting away again".

G was up and about early (I have no idea where), and even I was up by 8:30am. I made tracks for the Passenger Services Desk before they got too 'last day of the cruise' crazy, then was content to have coffee in the not-busy-at-all International Cafe. Where was everyone? (G told me later that they were all up on the pool deck soaking up the last of the warm sunshine). G went to 11:15am ring toss in the Piazza and, when I saw him there, he talked me into trying, too.  Really?  With my vision and total lack of athletic ability? Actually, I consider myself lucky that neither of us won a bottle of ring toss champagne, because it's...not good. 

We returned to the cabin where we enlisted the assistance of steward Antonio to dismantle the sink trap and search for a contact lens that someone might have lost down the drain this morning (the reason for my PSD visit). After I saw what was in the trap, I consider myself lucky that my contact was not among it. (It seems every winter brings a contact lens crisis, but, no worries.  I was armed with a spare pair). 

The luck of the day ran out, though. I was "parked" on Internet (timer not running) receiving updates over iMessage from the twins' championship basketball game that had had to be rescheduled to today. Isn't technology something, that I could be on a cruise ship in the middle of the Caribbean thousands of miles away and be just as nervous as if I was sitting in the bleachers?  ;-) Though they didn't win, that they made it to the finals is something to be proud of (I know I am, and I had nothing to do with it!). 

Having survived the roller coaster of emotions that accompanies any 5th grade basketball championship, I went to Alex Ramon's magic class in Club Fusion. Yes, I know that I've done this before, but I keep telling you that I am a slow learner.  Besides, Alex Ramon is a cutie and, I was certain that he was more fun to observe than anything I could be seeing at the simultaneously scheduled "Sexy Legs Contest" by the pool (the thought of which, frankly, scared me a little).   

We spent part of the afternoon in a hot tub and part reading (me) and napping (G), but skipped the wine tasting for this cruise, so I don't know if there were shot glasses given away today.  By 4pm, the yogurt parfait I'd had at the IC six hours earlier was a distant memory, and I was getting hungry, but buried myself more deeply in my book and accepted my hunger pangs as good practice for what lies ahead, our non-cruising season (aka Starvation Summer). 

We started the evening with wine at Vines, and then went to the Crown Grill a little early. Headwaiter Petar from Bulgaria was a most welcoming host, and seated us at a booth by a window. Waiter Ryan from the Philippines served a perfectly paced dinner, and, once again this evening, we had a five course dinner. I may not need to eat during the entire next cruise. We ordered a bottle of Ancient Peaks merlot, and enjoyed tender filet mignons as our entree. For dessert, I had the chocolate peanut butter Chocolate Journeys dessert, and it was much more impressive than it had been on the Pacific Princess in November. 

Scallops appetizer

Lamb carpaccio starter

Black and blue onion soup

Roasted pepper salad (with blue cheese on the side for G)

8 oz. filet mignon, mashed red skin potatoes, sautéed mushrooms 


Chocolate Journeys peanut butter dessert


Lemon tart

We finished dinner in time to get to production show Do You Wanna Dance in the Princess Theater. We've seen this show on both the Pacific Princess and the Grand Princess already this winter, but it remains a favorite, and it is especially fun to see it with a different cast of singers and dancers.














We exited the Princess Theater and walked right into Dixieland Jazz in the Piazza in preparation for tonight's Mardi Gras party. Really, could they possibly squeeze more entertainment into these four days??  I imagine the Entertainment staff is in need of a long rest, but, starting tomorrow, they do it all over again, this time over the course of a 5-night cruise. And to think that Julie McCoy used to do all this singlehandedly!!

We are now waiting in the Princess Theater for comedian Phil Tag's adults only, R-rated show at 10:15pm.  G just looked at me and asked, "Now we don't have to be anywhere until in transit immigration at 10:30am tomorrow, right?"  Thankfully, no, assuming we can sleep through the Caribbean Princess docking at Pier 2 in Port Everglades at 6:30am and the inevitable slamming of doors as passengers leave their cabins. 

One more cruise. Just five more days. Whatever the weather at home next Saturday, I think we'll be ready to leave, if only to go home and sleep. Eat, drink and play...this has been a vacation (and not simply living at our winter home).