Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Day 105: Grenada

Today, after two busy and active days, we finally had a "down day", never even getting off the ship. And it. was. wonderful. 

At some point during the night, I had started having muscle spasms in my back, which, thankfully. is a fairly rare thing. However, I do have a muscle relaxant I can take, as many as three a day, but just one knocks me out for at least 12 hours.  G woke up, saw the bottle on my nightstand and knew exactly what had happened. And I slept happily on until after 11am, long after our 7am arrival in Grenada.

Of course, I skipped breakfast. All I wanted was a vanilla bean latte from the International Cafe, and I sat there until noon, when the DaVinci Dining Room opened for lunch (since we had an early departure from Grenada today).

G met me there and we were seated in Darko and Somphong's section, two of about eight people in the entire dining room. It seems that the fact that the DaVinci Dining Room was opened for lunch today was omitted from the Princess Patter, and so it stayed nearly empty during the entire 90 minutes of lunch. This provided us the unparalleled opportunity for 1.) G to try nearly everything on the lunch menu (2 starters, 2 pastas, 2 entrees and every dessert); and 2.) for us to talk with Darko about his family and his life in Macedonia. G went on wifi and pulled up some photos of Prelip, the capital of about 80,000 people where Darko and his family live, and Darko would exclaim, "I live a 15 minute walk from there!", "I live just three blocks away from there!", and it was all very fun, and not totally unlike my lunch experience yesterday on Dominica.

Darko had just found out that he would be returning to the Emerald Princess for his next contract, as will favorite headwaiter Antonio, and G and I looked at each other and said we may need to cruise out of Houston after all, whether we want to or not. Or fly to Europe for one of the Emerald Princess's last European cruises. We don't like to be away during the summer, but it's that or cruise out of Houston next fall.  It's like coming home to board this ship, and it's hard to resign ourselves to staying away. 

We went out on the Promenade Deck to watch the pier side sailaway activities. There must have been one tour still out, because, despite the fact that all on board was 1:30pm in preparation for a 2pm sailaway, at 1:40pm there was still a steady stream on people walking down the pier. Finally, we saw Hugo, the Shore Excursions Manager, walking slowly down the pier with an older couple, both with canes. And I heard him say,  "You're fine. Don't worry. Someone has to be last." which was very kind and and reminded me of what I love about a Princess cruise, that we really are treated as if we are a guest in someone's home...not that the same thing doesn't happen on other cruise lines. It's just that I don't often witness that kind of solicitous kindness among two strangers at home. Living here is like living in a bubble where everyone treats you nicely. 

I like it. :-)

The afternoon fell into a familiar pattern of walking on Deck 19, followed by a hot tub followed by a steam room visit. I trimmed G's hair and, with no Elite Lounge in Skywalkers due to tonight's Captains Circle parties, we instead sat in Vines and had a glass of wine, and I had sushi, which G won't touch with a ten foot pole. Then it was Dinner with Darko and Coffee with Komang. 

Our evening ended with the 7:30pm Captains Circle where we sat with friends Jackie and Dave and Steve and Peggy and Alice. Tonight's entertainment options were a ventriloquist doing two shows in the Princess Theater, the usual dancing in the Explorers Lounge and Wheelhouse Bar, and the Ultimate Deck Party at 10:15pm. We won't be awake for that, I'm afraid.  I returned to the cabin first tonight; G was right behind me but must have found someone else to talk with. Which reminds me...after I left the hot tub today, but G remained, a couple from China joined him. This couple spoke only one word of English: Alaska. But G found out where they live, how old they are, how many cruises they've done and that they are retired. The man will talk with anyone, even if he must resort to pantomimes to do so. Nothing stops him!

Tomorrow, in Bonaire, we're going to try to download some video on my laptop. Keep your fingers crossed.