Saturday, January 18, 2014

Day 80: Fort Lauderdale

We had a busy day in a busy Port Everglades today, with lots of plans despite all the cruise ship traffic we knew would be in Fort Lauderdale today. At 5:22am, the Emerald Princess made a change of some sort- directional, speed, I don't know what exactly- but it woke us up and from then on we stayed up. G was dressed and gone in a flash and I followed not too distantly. Our AT&T phone service in Fort Lauderdale allow us to be fairly independent. 

First item of note is that we could move at all after yesterday's walk. In fact, barring the large blister on my left foot, we were not too worse for wear today. I made the beds, gathered up our wet towels for exchange from Raymond and emptied our trash (just to keep up my skills) and left the cabin to join G. He had entered the Botticelli Dining Room as soon as it opened at 6:30am, and I was there just a few minutes later. G filled me in on the weather; it was COLD today in Fort Lauderdale, but was going to be gloriously sunny. 

We returned to our cabin, sorted through our turnaround day paperwork, gathered up our passports, in transit card and cruise cards, and walked off the ship shortly after 8am. We had two reasons for leaving so early:  first, there were over 600 in transit passengers (those staying on for another cruise), and we wanted to avoid the immigration bottleneck with them, but most importantly, we were meeting friends Grant and Carol and Phil and Jan today in Fort Lauderdale.

We walked off the ship apparently between disembarkation groups (hey, this is easy!), but soon found out why. They had temporarily halted disembarkation to allow immigration to get caught up, and so we stood in line in the terminal for awhile before we officially entered the US. The Emerald Princess was docked at Pier 19 today, not far from 17th Street and the stores as the crow flies, but not a simple walk either, as there was so much traffic today. To save some steps, we ended up catching the free shuttle over to the North Port parking garage next to Pier 2, where the Emerald Princess had docked last turnaround day and where several passengers had left their cars. That worked well, and from there we walked behind the Convention Center and up to the 17th Street drawbridge. We wanted to get some photos of the seven ships in port today. 

Our next stop was Walgreens for a quick exchange and we then crossed 17th Street to meet up with Grant and Carol and Phil and Jan. 

We had cruised with these Canadian friends only once before- five years ago for ten days- but, oh what fun we had had and we still talk about it. Carol had contacted me a couple of months ago to tell me they'd be in Fort Lauderdale for three days, leaving on the Coral Princess tomorrow, and could we get together?  Well, we couldn't wait to see them! As it turned out, Starbucks on a Saturday morning with seven ships in port was a zoo. We instead walked over to Panera (good catch, Jan!). Much less congested, we were able to get a table outside and had a most enjoyable time catching up. We're counting on seeing them next winter on the Royal Princess (hint, hint) to pick up where we left off today. 

They had plans to take the water taxi today, and we had a few more errands to attend to, and too soon we parted company. It seemed like every other person we were seeing around the stores there was either an in transit passenger or an Emerald Princess crew member. G and I crossed the street again to the Harbor Shops (Publix) shopping center. I had just checked in online for a haircut at Great Clips, and so had no wait at all. Unfortunately, the lady who had cut my hair so well 40 days ago wasn't in today, so I had someone new who cut my hair REALLY short, sort of a mushroom look. Well, that's the chance you take when you go cheap at Great Clips. Once again, my receipt had a coupon on the bottom: my next cut is only $9.95, valid until March 1st. G tooked one look at my hair and told me I wouldn't need a cut by March 1st. Oh well. It was one of those days when I kept telling myself, " I don't know these people anyway!"

After a quick stop at Publix to buy another 50 ounces of laundry detergent, we walked back to The Calling Station, a business that provides Internet and phone and wire transfer services for crewmembers. They run a shuttle to the various ships for $2 per person, and since the Emerald Princess was docked so far south in Port Everglades, we took advantage of two empty seats in the very last row of an 18-passenger van for a ride back to the ship. Passing through Port Everglades security with a van full of non-US crewmembers was a joke...we weren't asked to show any ID, and were just waved through. Since a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, I'd say that, despite the pretense of being tight, Port Everglades security is a paper chain. 

Despite stops at several other ships before ours, we were at Pier 19, through security, and, showing those magic In Transit passes, breezing through the check in process. We managed to board the Emerald Princess in time for the most critical thing...beef tenderloins on embarkation day lunch in the DaVinci Dining Room! (For G. I had salmon.). Well, thank God!  ;-)

Following lunch, I did a load of laundry. Yesterday's walk had left a few too many items of dirty clothes, and I didn't want to wait two more days to get them back from ship's laundry. I finished up just before muster drill at 3:15pm, and then showered and dressed for the evening. The shower is as good a place as any to be during the muster drill announcement. 

I went up to Skywalkers, where I found one more seat on the scenic side of the ship. While I certainly prefer to be at Pier 2, I have to admit that the views from Skywalkers when the ship in at Pier 19 are pretty spectacular.

The Crown Princess sailing from Pier 2


G eventually joined me, and by then the Emerald Princess was beginning to push away from the dock. We left Skywalkers and walked up one deck to Deck 19, and the jogging track right over Skywalkers. I had Mom on the phone, and she managed to see us on the Port Everglades webcam for only the second time this winter. 

The Ruby Princess making her way into the entrance channel


Looking back over the Emerald Princess' wake into Port Everglades 


Dinner with Darko is always a highlight, as is the flourless chocolate cake that is served for dessert on embarkation day. Jim and Marcia are still on for this cruise, and every dinner is a darn good time. We found out tonight that junior waiter Komang became a first time father three days ago!  Talk about keeping things close to the vest.  Darko said Komang didn't say anything to him until the end of their dinner shift that evening. Congratulations and excitement all around!!

 G caught me in a weak moment, and I agreed to to to the Welcome Aboard show in the Princess Theater. In additions to the singers and dancers and the introduction of the cruise director's staff, tonight's show featured a ventriloquist. In fact, the entertainment for this entire cruise looks weak in comparison to last cruise, but that's okay. Our focus, at least tomorrow night, will be on the NFC/AFC Championships on MUTS. I will trade all entertainment for the rest of the winter if we have good weather and a Broncos win tomorrow. 

Go Broncos!

(My stomach hurts).